Financial and non-financial support to formal and informal out-of-home carers

Project Status: Archive
People Involved: Deborah Brennan, Bettina Cass, Marilyn McHugh, kylie valentine
Research Areas: Care
Funding Agency: Australian Government Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs

This research project explores the supports and services available to formal and informal out-of-home carers (foster, grandparent and kinship carers), in conjunction with existing qualitative evidence from carers, to analyse current gaps in support and building an understanding of carers' needs and priorities, and the barriers to undertaking a caring role. For the purposes of this research formal care refers to caring where there is a legal responsibility for the child, usually to a state welfare authority. Informal care involves private voluntary arrangements such as those for grandparents, other carers who are family relations or family friends. Out-of-home carers can be any person caring wholly or substantially for a dependent child in their residence who is not their legal responsibility as a parent. This can include grandparent, kinship, and informal carers as well as state or territory appointed carers.