Information for Students & Young People

If you are a student in Years 7 through 10 at a secondary public school in NSW you may be invited to participate in a study about What Young People Need.

You should have received information and a postcard about the study from your teacher or another staff member at your school. If you still have questions about the study feel free to have a look at other parts of this webpage.

If you still have questions, it is a good idea to talk to your teacher, a parent, or another trusted adult.

What’s the study about?

We would like to find out about the things that all young people need. It’s the first study in Australia to ask young people themselves what’s important to them.

Why am I invited?

You have been invited because you are a young person in Years 7 through 10 in a NSW public school that has agreed to participate in our study.

Do I have to participate?

Participation is voluntary, so you can decide whether or not you want to complete the survey. It’s okay if you choose not to participate. You will be given another activity to instead.

What does participation involve?

Filling in a survey during class time. The survey asks about the items and activities that young people think are needed to live a normal life. We will ask you a bit about what’s important to you, your family and your school life.

What will we do with the information?

We will use it to work out the best ways to measure who is missing out on the things young people think are important for a normal life. We won’t ask for your name, so your answers are anonymous.

What are the benefits to participation?

The findings help to develop better policies and programs to support young people.

What do I do now?

Make sure your parent or guardian gets their information sheet.

What if I feel upset by the questions?

We don’t think the questions are upsetting but if they make you feel nervous or feel you need support your teacher will help you contact your parents or the school counsellor.

If you would rather speak to someone else you can call Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800.

What if I have a complaint or any concerns about the research study?

If you have any complaints about any aspect of the project, the way it is being conducted, then you may contact the: Human Research Ethics Coordinate at UNSW on:

T: (02) 9385 6222


The project’s reference number is HC15832.